Responsible for providing diagnostic assessments, therapy, counseling, and support services for a diverse caseload including children, adolescents, adults, and families experiencing mental health issues, communication challenges, or family conflict. The Mental Health Counselor should be familiar with services and resources available within the community and work closely with clients to provide information and support when required. In addition to providing ongoing counseling to children and/or adults, the Mental Health Counselor will design and facilitate support groups and psychoeducational offerings in collaboration with the Clinical Director. JFS Rochester is committed to providing services to the community regardless of their faith, race, national origin, gender identification, sexual orientation, or financial situation.
Hourly wage: $25.64 – $28.38
Part-time or Per Diem.
- Provide ongoing clinical counseling to children, adults, and/or families.
- Keep accurate client records according to JFS policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with Clinical Director, develop and facilitate support groups and psychoeducational offerings as needed.
- Assist in community outreach efforts and support marketing of JFS’ counseling services (e.g.,developing relationships with referral sources).
- Attend supervision, team meetings, staff meetings, and staff development activities.
- Function as part of the JFS team to meet the needs of clients and the agency, including facilitating referrals to JFS programs.
- Availability to work some night/weekend hours e caseload.
- Willingness to provide therapy in the most appropriate setting to meet the clients’ needs (e.g., Office, home, or via telehealth).
- May include on-site work with strategic partners such as schools and childcare centers (e.g., school-based mental health counseling and classroom observation).
- May include professional development to strategic partners regarding best practices and strategies for behavioral health needs of youth and older adults.
Education & Experience:
- New York State licensure as LCSW, LCSW-R or LMHC, or LCAT. Provisional or interim licensure requirements must be completed in a reasonable time frame as agreed upon with the supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in social work, mental health counseling, creative arts therapy, or related field considered.
- Experience or training (or willingness to be trained) in cultural humility, trauma-informed care, and reflective practice.
- NYS Driver’s License.
The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive. Employees are required to follow appropriate supervisory direction and perform other related duties as required.
Physical Demands/Work Environment: The physical demands/work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, hear, stand, walk, use hands to type and/or perform light lifting. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Compliance: Adheres to all applicable federal and state laws and regulations including, but not limited to, those governing confidentiality, privacy, and documentation standards. All duties must be performed in accordance with JFS corporate compliance & HIPAA program.
Jewish Family Services is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. EOE/AA Disability/Vet
JFS is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.